Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A foot in the door!

Hi! I'm fired up about sharing my thoughts and experiences during my internship at the National Science Foundation with you! Just for some background, I'm a grad student in Integrative Physiology at the University of Colorado and I'm pursuing a grad certificate in science policy. I'm here in DC to learn about policies intended to improve science education, but I also want to move outside of my comfortable academic writing style and learn to share scientific information to the public; hence, my blog! I believe scientists should try to be more proactive in getting the public excited about science and technology, and that doesn't happen by plopping your publications in front of them. Maybe scientists should spend a little time writing for mainstream media, or educating school teachers, or developing nutty, scientifically-themed video games. I'll let you know if the NSF has some better ideas.

Share your thoughts, ask me questions, and give me lots of critiques, especially on my attempts to casually write about science. I'm excited to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment